Definition of greenheart in English:
1A South American evergreen tree of the laurel family, yielding hard greenish timber which is used for marine work because of its resistance to marine borers.
- Ocotea rodiaei, family Lauraceae
- Wax-mirtles, heathers, laurels, ebonies, southern olives, greenhearts or hollies (llex canariensis) are some of the most distinctive trees in this ecological jewel.
1.1 [mass noun] The timber of the greenheart, or similar timber from various other tropical trees.
- These include cement, recycled plastics, and tropical hardwoods, such as greenheart, that are more resistant to shipworms than other woods are.
- To replace the ladder mechanism we had to source a very dense wood called greenheart from the Amazon.
- On the outboard end of things, if the dock pilings have been in the water for more than, say, ten years and are anything other than greenheart, you might want to make a mental note that they may let go.
Definition of greenheart in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan