- A mineral consisting of cadmium sulphide which typically occurs as a yellow crust on zinc ores.More example sentences
- The only important ore of cadmium is greenockite, or cadmium sulfide (CdS).
- One exciting find was a thumbnail with a patch of greenockite and flecks of native copper; later, under higher magnification, some of the copper was found to be crystallized.
- Inclusions of greenockite have been found coexisting with sphalerite.
mid 19th century: from the name of Lord Greenock, who later became Earl Cathcart (1783–1859), + -ite1.
More definitions of greenockiteDefinition of greenockite in:
- The US English dictionary