1 Geology A greenish igneous rock containing feldspar and hornblende.
- The primary rocks of the Bradshaw Mountains are granites and greenstones (gneiss and schist).
- Greenwell discovered numerous antler picks scattered throughout the mine as well as the ground stone axe made of greenstone from Cornwall.
- Some of the oldest rocks on earth have also been found here: the greenstone is estimated to be 3 000-million years old.
1.1chiefly NZ A variety of jade: [as modifier]: a greenstone necklace
More example sentences
- This same dress code, however, allows Maori students to wear bone and greenstone necklaces as part of the school's ‘Treaty of Waitangi obligations’.
- In early 1913 six Maori greenstone artefacts disappeared from a showcase in the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.
- After performing a waiata the students presented Potikitaua-Taraare with a greenstone necklace and other gifts.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: green|stone
Definition of greenstone in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.