Definition of gregarine in English:
1Relating to a group of microscopic worm-like protozoans that are internal parasites of insects, annelids, and other invertebrates.
- Aseptate gregarine fauna have been reported from various parts of the world including India.
- These were determined to be the trophozoites of a gregarine parasite of the insect, and the present paper records the observations which have been made on this species.
- The students established beetle populations with and without gregarine infection and then monitored the population over time.
nounBack to top
A gregarine protozoan.
- Ciliates are alveolate protozoa that evolved unusually large cell sizes entirely differently from gregarines, with radically novel consequences for their genomes.
- The cytoplasm of the gregarines was always irregular, dense, and occasionally presenting a dark stoch area.
- Like the gregarines, however, the life cycle is primarily haploid, with diploidy only occurring before meiosis.
Definition of gregarine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan