Definition of grenadier in English:
1 historical A soldier armed with grenades.
- By this time though, the grenade itself had been largely dropped from the infantryman's armoury and grenadiers were simply soldiers selected for their appearance and height.
- At dusk on 14 October, two 400-man columns, one French grenadiers and chasseurs, the other American light infantry under Alexander Hamilton, attacked two redoubts in advance of the main British line.
- In the old photos the cemetery hill is bare, but now it is wooded over, and the Hussars, Cossacks, infantrymen, grenadiers and all the rest are lying in the shade of the trees.
1.1 (Grenadiers or Grenadier Guards) (In the UK) the first regiment of the royal household infantry.
- He volunteered for the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1938 and was seconded to the Grenadier Guards, seeing action at Dunkirk and D Day.
- After Sandhurst, Gort joined the Grenadier Guards.
- In early 1942 she was appointed Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadier Guards, at sixteen she carried out her first public engagement, when she inspected the regiment.
2A common bottom-dwelling fish with a large head, a long tapering tail, and typically a luminous gland on the belly. Also called rat-tail.
- Bailey, the lead author of the study, points out that grenadiers are not the only fish population that seems to be increasing.
- Fleets of mainly Spanish and Panamanian trawlers fish for deep-sea species such as the orange roughy and the round-nosed grenadier which are popular among consumers on the continent.
- When some of the water is removed from the grenadier, its flesh becomes firm, and the meat flaky, says Crapo.
3A reddish-brown African waxbill with a red bill and a bright blue rump.
- Genus Uraeginthus, family Estrildidae: the common grenadier (U. granatina), with violet cheeks, and the purple grenadier (U. lanthinogaster), with a blue belly
- Bird lovers will enjoy the barbets, boubous, chatterers, weavers and brightly-attired purple grenadiers who are resident here.
- Again in the morning we were up early - to explore this lodge's grounds and find black-backed puffback, golden-breasted bunting, brown parisoma, purple grenadier, brimstone canary, scarlet-chested and amethyst sunbirds.
- I don't know about plants, and the only birds I have seen around the orphanage are crows, purple grenadiers, and the scrawny chickens that will eventually end up on the supper table.
Words that rhyme with grenadieradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, queer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
Definition of grenadier in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan