A large seal with a spotted greyish coat and a convex profile, found commonly in the North Atlantic. Also called Atlantic seal.
- Halichoerus grypus, family Phocidae
More example sentences
- Harbor and gray seals are fairly common around the Iles de la Madeleine and can be easily spotted in their natural habitat.
- The order, which came into effect on September 4, extended bans on killing either common or harbour seals in waters around Scotland, and grey seals in the Moray Firth.
- In UK waters common and grey seals can be found around much of the coastline, often in colonies numbering thousands.
Definition of grey seal in:
- The US English dictionary