- A dog of a tall, slender breed having keen sight and capable of high speed, used since ancient times for hunting small game and now chiefly in racing and coursing.More example sentences
- He bred greyhounds for many years and had many friends in the racing fraternity.
- Deirdre said the main problem is that greyhounds are seen as racing dogs but not pets in Ireland.
- Some underfeed their whippets, lurchers, or greyhounds, because they mistakenly think these breeds are meant to be stick-thin.
Old English grīghund; the first element, related to Old Norse grey 'bitch', is of unknown origin.
More definitions of greyhoundDefinition of greyhound in:
- The US English dictionary