- A map reference indicating a location in terms of a series of vertical and horizontal grid lines identified by numbers or letters: on the Ordnance Survey map, grid reference SP 508069More example sentences
- Greenpeace campaigners recently destroyed trial fields and the government has issued only a six-figure grid reference to identify the fields in which the trials were taking place.
- Surveyors are asked to report any sightings of the ladybird, along with its location and, if possible, a grid reference or postcode.
- The mother's address on the child's birth certificate was postcoded and given a geographical grid reference.
More definitions of grid referenceDefinition of grid reference in:
- The US English dictionary