- A member of a class of travelling poets, musicians, and storytellers who maintain a tradition of oral history in parts of West Africa.More example sentences
- Our poets and storytellers are the modern-day griots who speak the history and carry on the culture with dazzling tongue.
- In addition to the storytelling and music provided by the griots, the Malinke like to listen to the radio.
- Neal also recalls that the role of the blues singer is not unlike that of the griot in traditional African societies.
French, earlier guiriot, perhaps from Portuguese criado.
More definitions of griotDefinition of griot in:
- The US English dictionary