(also gri-gri, greegree)
Definition of gris-gris in English:
noun (plural same)
1An African or Caribbean charm or amulet.
- Most of the time, this was how her love potions and gris-gris worked, which is apparently 100% of the time.
- Another way to keep the will of others from harming you or your children would be to wear a greegree.
- Stones and colored objects are chosen for their occult and astrological meanings corresponding to the purpose for which the gris-gris is to be used.
1.1 [mass noun] The use of gris-gris, especially in voodoo: [as modifier]: the New Orleans gris-gris traditions
More example sentences
- The country reflects African music and culture - the Creole cuisine features myriad varieties of exotically spiced fish and seafood, and rural residents practice gris-gris, the local voodoo.
- From 1943 to his death in 1989, King Louis Narcisse fused Baptist, Pentecostal, and gris-gris traditions into a gumbo of ritual and hagiography.
- Only a few shamans in the region were known to practice gris-gris.
late 17th century: from French grisgris, of West African origin.
Definition of gris-gris in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan