1A common edible woodland mushroom with a brown or grey cap, a slender stem, and white gills.
- Amanita vaginata and A. fulva, family Amanitaceae, class Hymenomycetes.
- On the whole, the best varieties of mushroom grow in wooded areas, whether deciduous, as for the cep and grisette, or coniferous, as for chanterelles and the Japanese matsutake and some kinds of boletus.
- Unlike many other amanitas, the grisette and its relatives have no partial veil covering the immature gills, and no subsequent ring encircling the stalk.
- The main edible species of the genus are the blusher, grisette, and orange.
2 archaic A young working-class Frenchwoman.
- Charles Letellier, for instance, decried the figure's indecent state of undress (she is shown stripped down to her petticoat) and compared her bare arms to those of modern grisettes and washerwomen.
- Now a confirmed bachelor preferring the company of the grisettes at Maxim's, he shuns Hanna, who nevertheless sets out to win him.
- Thompson begins her analysis with the prostitute and the grisette, as free women whose interaction with the market was deemed in popular imagery of the 1830s as immoral and ultimately unsuccessful, if not tragic.
Words that rhyme with grisetteabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), clarinet, Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minaret, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quartet, quickset, quintet, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, vinaigrette, wagonette, wet, whet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gri|sette
Definition of grisette in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.