plural noun[also treated as singular] US
1A dish of coarsely ground maize kernels boiled with water or milk.
- Enjoy grits with butter, brown sugar or with a splash of maple syrup.
- I love grits, too, whether with eggs and sausage or topped with shrimp in true ‘low country’ style.
- Almost immediately a servant brought her a plate of eggs, bacon, grits and sausage, each in small portions and all very southern.
1.1Coarsely ground maize kernels used to make grits.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, bring the grits, milk, and chicken stock to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine the grits, masa, and salt and mix well.
- As luck would have it - and because I too have a bit of the South in me - I had a bag of stoneground South Carolina grits in my freezer.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: grits
Definition of grits in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.