noun (plural groceries)
1A grocer’s shop or business.
- It started in the grocery business because shops were charging too much for food.
- Before this he had worked at the family business - a grocery shop on Girlington Road.
- If he went out somewhere, like the barber shop or the grocery store, I always went with him.
1.1 (groceries) Items of food sold in a grocery or supermarket.
- He opened a general store in Union St, selling groceries and supplies to the gold diggers.
- Rob had all the ingredients, thanks to our weekly grocery shopping we did together.
- He bought the cheapest groceries and he thought it didn't matter.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gro¦cery
Definition of grocery in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.