Definition of ground loop in English:
1A violent, uncontrolled horizontal rotation of an aircraft while landing, taking off, or taxiing.
- From television footage, it appears that the pilot may have initiated a ground loop to stop the aircraft.
- The final landing was a battle as I tried to prevent a ground loop.
- The Skywagon has seen its share of ground loops, landing accidents and other typical general-aviation accidents.
2 North American term for earth loop.
- One presentation, for instance, is the ‘Living Machine Biolarium Space,’ which explains an integrated photovoltaic roof system and a ground loop heat exchange system that heats and cools by exchanging heat with the earth.
- One thing we liked - the ground-loop isolator circuit located in the unit itself, which can notch out the 60-cycle hum that sometimes makes its way into audio recordings.
- He notes that some school districts are installing ground-loop heat pumps, which are more expensive up front but save on utility costs in the long run.
verbBack to top
(ground-loop) [no object] (Of an aircraft) make a ground loop.
- Registered in December 1974, the aircraft was ground-looped while on the ferry flight to Arizona in July 1980, initiating a five-year restoration.
- It is the right aircraft for these conditions as it cannot ground-loop nor turn over on its nose.
- I figured we'd just ground-loop the jet or steer it into the Hornet next to us.
Definition of ground loop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan