Definition of groundless in English:
Not based on any good reason: your fears are quite groundless
More example sentences
- And, to cap it all, after berating the press for running groundless, unsourced rumours, you end on one yourself.
- In both cases, the fear was neither groundless nor unreasonable.
- And he said he would not be discouraged by such groundless slander and unreasonable allegations and would ignore them.
baseless, without basis, without foundation, foundationless, ill-founded, unfounded, unsupported, uncorroborated, unproven, not backed up, empty, idle, vain, chimerical, imaginary, illusory, false, unsubstantiated, unwarranted, unjustified, unjustifiable, uncalled for, unprovoked, without cause, without reason, without justification, unreasonable, irrational, illogical, unsound, unreliable, questionable, misguided, spurious, specious, fallacious, erroneous
- Example sentences
- If your name was randomly, groundlessly and wrongly linked with that of your party's Presidential front-runner, wouldn't you quickly put the rumors to rest with an unqualified denial?
- But once past that grey-scale headstone, we get to the serious-minded editorial note of introduction, which only later, in the context of what is to come, reveals itself for the groundlessly self-important mission statement it is.
- The film is so airless, so groundlessly sure of itself, that having a good time is out of the question.
- Example sentences
- From time to time, we realize the groundlessness of our being and are then prone to ontological anxiety.
- The place of the poem is the place of our homelessness, our groundlessness.
- The main problem for him was how to reconcile two conflicting things: on the one hand, allegiance to profoundly and passionately held moral convictions, and, on the other hand, the apparent groundlessness of moral judgement.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.