A mortar or paste for filling crevices, especially the gaps between wall or floor tiles.
- Wall and floor tile grout must be sealed to prevent damage from moisture and graffiti.
- Tile grout is neither waterproof nor stainproof, so it usually must be sealed.
- Tiles, grout, thinset, cement board, tools and complete installation instructions are available at most home centers and other retailers of tile supplies.
Fill in with grout: soak off the facing paper with a damp sponge, then grout the tiles [no object]: is it best to grout with mortar between paving slabs?
More example sentences
- He installed it all in one day and grouted it the next.
- They are incorrectly grouted, there are gaps and a lot of joints filled with tile adhesive.
- I'm hoping that by the time I get home, the office tile has been grouted, dried and the furniture put in place.
Mid 17th century: perhaps from grouts, or related to French dialect grouter 'grout a wall'.
Words that rhyme with groutabout, bout, clout, devout, doubt, down-and-out, drought, flout, gout, knout, lout, mahout, misdoubt, nowt, out, out-and-out, owt, pout, Prout, right about, rout, scout, shout, snout, spout, sprout, stout, thereabout, thereout, throughout, timeout, tout, trout, way-out, without
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: grout
Definition of grout in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.