Definition of gruelling in English:
Extremely tiring and demanding: a gruelling schedule
More example sentences
- Teams of between two and eight dogs will run at speeds of over 20 miles per hour around the gruelling four-mile course.
- The documentary filmed them preparing for the latter, and their gruelling training regime was something to behold.
- Plus, after a gruelling few days the creative juices were a little slack.
demanding, exacting, trying, difficult, hard, arduous, laborious, back-breaking, strenuous, harsh, severe, stiff, punishing, crushing, crippling, grinding, brutal, relentless, unsparing
British informal knackering
- gruellingly adverb
- Example sentences
- Democrats - estranged from and ashamed of their progressive flank - wear themselves out to retain gains gruelingly won through nearly a century of grassroots action.
- And it bred optimism among people who knew ruthless competition and gruelingly hard work.
- Instead, I was gifted with the opportunity to endure the latest gruelingly stupid motion picture aimed at children who have been raised from infancy by a television set.
Mid 19th century: from the verb gruel 'exhaust, punish', from an old phrase get one's gruel 'receive one's punishment'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.