adjective (grumpier, grumpiest)
Bad-tempered and sulky: his performance as the grumpy gateman he’s grumpy because he hasn’t heard from you
More example sentences
- Read a selection of past interviews and you're left with a picture of a truculent, grumpy old curmudgeon.
- Like all of us, he could be grumpy and cantankerous, but he was never mean-spirited in deed or thought.
- The day-time guard at the entrance to our village is the most grumpy and surly man.
bad-tempered, ill-tempered, short-tempered, crotchety, crabby, crabbed, tetchy, testy, waspish, prickly, peppery, touchy, irritable, irascible, crusty, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, bearish, surly, churlish, ill-natured, ill-humoured, peevish, cross, as cross as two sticks, fractious, disagreeable, pettish;
having got out of bed on the wrong side
informal grouchy, snappy, snappish, chippy, on a short fuse, short-fused
British informal shirty, stroppy, narky, ratty, eggy, like a bear with a sore head
North American informal cranky, ornery, soreheaded
Australian/New Zealand informal snaky
informal, dated miffy, waxy
- Example sentences
- I take my parsnips grumpily and bid him ‘good evening’.
- Then the phone rang a little before 8 am, so I grumpily picked it up.
- But he was not in a talkative mood and chomped his way grumpily through the meal, responding with grunts and monosyllables to all attempts to engage him in conversation.
- Example sentences
- As a person ages, the signs of depression are much more likely to be dismissed as crankiness or grumpiness.
- The last couple of Christmases I spent with Papa his seeming grumpiness annoyed me but now I realize he just wanted the hype to go away.
- It would be refreshing if he were to concentrate on the brighter sides of human behaviour and not dwell on dubious national traits to vent his grumpiness with the world around him.
Words that rhyme with grumpybumpy, clumpy, dumpy, frumpy, humpy, jumpy, lumpy, plumpy, rumpy-pumpy, scrumpy, stumpy
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: grumpy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.