A large pheasant-like tree-dwelling bird of tropical American rainforests.
- Family Cracidae (the guan family): several genera, especially Penelope. The guan family also includes curassows and chachalacas
More example sentences
- One of the habituated birds I remember best was a piping guan - a chicken-sized bird normally found only in the highest treetops - that chose to nest only two yards from a building under construction.
- Those who prefer altitude can climb the lodge's seven-story, 115-foot canopy tower and stop at each level to observe tanagers, jacamars, guans, and oropendulas in action.
- Furthermore, fruits in the forest canopy support a disproportionately high amount of bird biomass, because in general frugivores tend to be very large (e.g. guans, toucans, parrots, pigeons).
late 17th century: via American Spanish from Miskito kwamu.
Definition of guan in:
- The US English dictionary