Definition of guar in English:
1A drought-resistant plant of the pea family, which is grown as a vegetable and fodder crop and as a source of guar gum, native to dry regions of Africa and Asia. Also called cluster bean.
- Cyamopsis tetragonoloba, family Leguminosae
- The guar, or cluster bean, provides a gum that has 8 times the thickening power of cornstarch.
- He said cultivation of paddy and bajra would receive a boost from the rain and added that the rain would also do good to cotton and guar crops.
1.1 (also guar flour or guar gum) [mass noun] A fine powder obtained by grinding guar seeds, which is used chiefly in the food and paper industries.
- Soluble fibers occur in guar gum, beans, apple and grapefruit pectin, and sea vegetables.
- To cook these wheat alternatives with non-glutinous ‘flours’ such as rice flour, or (my personal favourite) nut flours, you need to add a binding agent, such as an extra egg, guar gum or xantham gum.
- He took 300 kilograms of guar gum, a thickening agent found in salad dressing, and dumped it into a 25-meter swimming pool on campus.
late 19th century: from Hindi guār.
Definition of guar in:
- US English dictionary