noun (plural guardsmen)
- 1(In the UK) a soldier of a regiment of Guards.More example sentences
- The West Yorkshire Regiment guardsmen were well prepared for the weather.
- The palace was floodlit, a full-size Royal Standard, usually reserved for state occasions, was flying and guardsmen in bearskins were on sentry duty.
- Branchflower, 20, a guardsman with the Irish Guards, was deployed
- 1.1(In the US) a member of the National Guard.More example sentences
- It is present in the camouflaged armed national guardsmen who greet members of Congress each day we enter the Capitol campus.
- The national guard plays a critical role in homeland security, but tens of thousands of national guardsmen are now deployed overseas, supporting the global war on terror.
- At Duneen Mill in Greenville, South Carolina, for example, 425 national guardsmen were deployed to break up pickets.
More definitions of guardsmanDefinition of guardsman in:
- The US English dictionary