Definition of guayule in English:
1A silver-leaved Mexican shrub of the daisy family which yields large amounts of latex.
- Parthenium argentatum, family Compositae
- Preliminary tests show that surgical gloves, condoms, or other products made from the natural rubber latex of a southwestern desert shrub called guayule are an effective barrier against disease-causing bacteria and viruses.
- As early as 1907, experiments by the Intercontinental Rubber Company were conducted on guayule, a Mexican desert shrub that contained 20 percent pure rubber that lent itself to harvesting.
- We'll be able to conduct onsite tests to explore new uses of crops like guayule - a desert shrub that our patented research has shown is a promising new domestic source of hypoallergenic natural latex.
1.1 [mass noun] A rubber substitute made from the guayule.
- In spite of some limitation as an alternative rubber crop due to its slow volume growth and low abundance of rubber particles, guayule has been proposed as a viable commercial alternative for hypoallergenic latex.
- Similar transit peptides could not be found, however, in the AOS from rubber particles of guayule and in the two isoforms of the barley AOS.
- In guayule, the most abundant rubber particle protein of 52 kDa was sequenced to be a P450 allen oxide synthase.
early 20th century: via Latin American Spanish from Nahuatl cuauhuli.
Definition of guayule in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India