1A small edible European freshwater fish, often used as bait by anglers.
- Gobio gobio, family Cyprinidae
- There are also rudd, bream, eels, gudgeon, crucian carp, tench, minnows, perch, sticklebacks, the odd trout, pike and barbel present.
- There were very large numbers of gudgeon, roach, dace, chub and skimmer bream stranded in the field following the floodbank breaching and whilst this resulted in some deaths, a large number were returned to the river.
- By the time he was ten, exactly 50 years ago, he had proper tackle and had graduated to fishing the River Aire which teamed with fish: trout, roach, chub and gudgeon, all species which thrive in fast flowing, clean waters.
1.3A pin holding two blocks of stone together.
- Five or six head staves are fitted together with wooden dowels or stainless steel gudgeons (headless nails).