- A deciduous Eurasian shrub with flattened heads of fragrant creamy-white flowers, followed by clusters of translucent red berries.
More example sentences
- Viburnum opulus, family Caprifoliaceae. See also snowball tree
- Another excellent berried shrub is the guelder rose Viburnum opulus.
- Apparently, Chaucer was fond of eating the berries of the commonly known guelder rose but most find them bitter and smelly.
- However, in hedgerows, aliens like fuchsia, buddleia and snowberry are pushing out native species like spindle and guelder rose.
late 16th century: from Dutch geldersche roos 'rose of Gelderland' (see Gelderland).
More definitions of guelder roseDefinition of guelder rose in:
- The US English dictionary