noun (plural Guernseys)
1An animal of a breed of dairy cattle from Guernsey, noted for producing rich, creamy milk.
- Besides Jerseys and Holsteins, other US dairy breeds such as Ayrshires, Brown Swiss, Guernseys and Milking Shorthorn have been used successfully in pasture-based systems in different areas of the country.
- The collection, which was sold off following the owner's death, included dairy shorthorns which fetched £1,240, Ayrshires at £610, Aberdeen Angus cattle at £410, and Guernseys at £410.
2.1Australian A football jumper, especially one of the sleeveless kind worn by Australian Rules players.
- Perth-born Krakouer is well-known to football fans, playing for the West Australian Football League before pulling on North Melbourne and St Kilda guernseys in the AFL.
- Placing mementoes such as football guernseys or photographs on coffins and playing popular music during funeral services are likely to be discouraged under Catholic Church guidelines.
- To pass the time, several players played a form of Keno in which numbers were selected according to past and present players' guernseys.
get (or be given) a guernsey Australian informal
- Be selected for a football team.Example sentences
- Are any players from the pre-existing teams in this League trying to get a guernsey in this new tele-team?
- You've gotta have a go in the future, I'm aiming towards [the 2004 Olympic Games in] Athens and I'd love to get a guernsey and shoot in [the 2006 Commonwealth Games in] Melbourne.
- 1.1Gain recognition or approval.Example sentences
- The news brigade were mostly old newspaper men, few women got a guernsey then, who distrusted radio techniques and thought the tape recorder was an instrument of the devil.
- Orwell's 1984 predictably got a guernsey, and Animal Farm also apparently figured in the top 100.
- Let's face it: many kids after reaching double-digit birthdays don't read a lot for pleasure and are more interested in television, computer games and physical activities, although information books get a guernsey.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan