A loud and hearty laugh.
- Bleak as the film is, there is occasional respite in the script, drawing wry smiles rather than hearty guffaws.
- The sergeant, getting a pair of scissors, soon freed the car from its encumbrance, upon which the householder and the lodgers burst into loud guffaws of laughter.
- Such a remark ordinarily would deserve no more than a hearty guffaw.
Laugh loudly and heartily: both men guffawed at the remark
More example sentences
- As you sit in a small, black theatre watching a contemporary dance piece, the woman beside you sighs with knowing delight, while the man behind you heartily guffawed about five minutes ago, but who knows why?
- Her husband, also a film star, most laid back, most charming and who I was meeting for the first time, guffawed loudly and candidly acted out an impromptu spiel for me.
- Then a strange bloke started to hover near us (not literally although that would have been fun!) and every time I laughed he quietly guffawed.
Early 18th century (originally Scots): imitative.
Words that rhyme with guffawabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, ignore, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.