Definition of guile in English:
Sly or cunning intelligence: he used all his guile and guts to free himself from the muddle he was in
More example sentences
- They seem to have got some grim kick out out of their cunning, duplicity, guile and secrecy.
- Being able to think and reason the survival of the fittest wasn't just down to strength but also wits, guile and cunning.
- So she used her guile and cunning to protect the tiny innocents: she adopted twins.
cunning, craftiness, craft, artfulness, art, artifice, wiliness, slyness, deviousness, shrewdness, canniness, ingenuity;
deception, deceit, duplicity, underhandedness, double-dealing, trickiness, sharp practice, treachery, chicanery, fraud, skulduggery
- Example sentences
- But the guileful guerrilla methods of Central Asian warriors have stayed the same since the 13 th century.
- Their guileful arrangement begins with Armstrong's verse and elusively shifts to the 1937 ballad.
- His guileful persona shouldn't come through until he finally agrees to a live interview on Good Morning America.
- 2guilefully adverb
- Example sentences
- Simon Willacy bowled guilefully in an 18 over spell, well supported by off-spinner Horsfall.
- Not even the critics, essential scribes in any revolution, are noted, except by Rainer (speaking to a confrere on the Atlas video), who says guilefully, ‘And all the critics were outraged.’
- The hole in the tiled floor yawned at her, deceptively innocent, guilefully welcoming.
Pronunciation: /ˈɡʌɪlfʊl/ /ˈɡʌɪlf(ə)l/adjective
Words that rhyme with guileaisle, Argyle, awhile, beguile, bile, Carlisle, Carlyle, compile, De Stijl, ensile, file, I'll, interfile, isle, Kabyle, kyle, lisle, Lyle, Mikhail, mile, Nile, pile, rank-and-file, resile, rile, Ryle, Sieg Heil, smile, spile, stile, style, tile, vile, Weil, while, wile, worthwhile
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.