noun (plural same or guitarfishes)
A fish of shallow warm seas, related to the rays and having a guitar-like body shape.
- Several species in the family Rhinobatidae, including Rhinobatus rhinobatus, common in European waters, and the Chinese guitarfish (Platyrhina sinensis, family Platyrhinidae)
More example sentences
- The guitarfish has a thick fleshy tail that resembles a shark's tail more than it does a ray's.
- Mauritania's famous Nouadhibou beach-camp is not the same as it once was, but French anglers in particular still go there to chase after the denizens of its surf - with large rays and guitarfish still the main attraction.
- The fish made long runs, then sulked, ran again, but five minutes later I saw a swirl of white water in the edge of the surf and went in to grab a beautiful guitarfish of around 10 lb.
Definition of guitarfish in:
- The US English dictionary