Definition of gular in English:
Relating to or situated on the throat of an animal, especially a reptile, fish, or bird.
- Such a mechanism would have been analogous to expansion of the buccal and gular cavities of fishes and many tetrapods by the hyobranchial muscles acting on the hyoid arches.
- First each lizard ran normally; then a plastic tube was inserted into the mouth to keep the animal's mouth open and prevent gular pumping.
- By way of analogy, pelecaniforms also use large gular pouches for feeding young and in cooling behaviors, both entirely plausible behaviors for pareiasaurs.
nounBack to top
A plate or scale on the throat of a reptile or fish.
- As we discussed in connection with the gulars, the opercular series seems to have developed from serial repetition of a simple overlapping laminar series of scales, as exemplified in some Acanthodii.
- Long remarks that Onychodus is primitive because, among other things, it has submandibular plates rather than branchiostegal rays, although it does possess gulars of a sort.
- The median gular plate is large, extending the length of the orbit; it is ovoid and bears the usual two small pit lines fused into a V. Behind it, the paired lateral gulars are slightly wider than the first branchiostegal rays.
Definition of gular in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.