Definition of gumbo in English:
noun (plural gumbos)[mass noun]
1.1(In Cajun cooking) a spicy chicken or seafood soup thickened typically with okra or rice.
- This Aberdonian favourite specialises in seafood recipes from around the world - gumbos, chowders, fishcakes, the works - using every imaginable fresh Scottish seafood, including halibut, sole, wolf fish, turbot, lobster and crab.
- Madame tried both the chicken and fish gumbos and remarked on the totally different tastes that the Cajun cuisine could produce in them.
- The common basis of all gumbos is the roux, a roughly equal combination of flour and fat cooked until very nearly burnt; it is the dark smoky roux that gives the gumbo its colour and flavour.
3North American A fine clayey soil that becomes sticky and impervious when wet.
- A high pressure front carries dark clouds, and we risk becoming mired in gumbo if the weather doesn't hold up.
- For a place so famous for its roads, Chaco is connected to the modern world tenuously at best: The only access is over washboard dirt roads that can turn to gumbo after a storm.
- We slogged around looking for suicidal prairie dogs and learned that hills and gumbo can overcome the best four-wheel drive trucks.
4A type of Cajun music consisting of a lively blend of styles and sounds: New Orleans syncopated gumbo
More example sentences
- All it is is a gumbo of different musical styles that I like and mixed up and thrown together.
- Using the musical traditions of Quebec as their starting point, they bolt on jazz, Cajun and even Latin influences to create an infectious gumbo of sounds and rhythms.
- With the tracks largely bereft of melody or theme, Villalobos dives ever more deeply into percussive gumbo and leaves accessible hooks behind.
Early 19th century: from the Angolan word kingombo 'okra'.
Words that rhyme with gumboColombo, dumbo, jumbo, mumbo-jumbo, umbo
Definition of gumbo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan