- Foreign policy that is supported by the use or threat of military force: the gunboat diplomacy from Paris ended with at least four dead and several injuredMore example sentences
- Both Indonesia and Malaysia also saw it as a means to protect themselves from gunboat diplomacy and foreign intervention in the affairs of their fledgling nations.
- As the security threat softens, gunboat diplomacy will become less effective, and Ireland's expertise in mediating between factions will be called upon to play an even greater role in brokering a lasting peace.
- ‘It is an unprecedented show of force and a return to gunboat diplomacy,’ said Andrew Tam, a security expert at the Institute of Defense and Strategic Studies in Singapore.
More definitions of gunboat diplomacyDefinition of gunboat diplomacy in:
- The US English dictionary