A South American plant with extremely large leaves that resemble rhubarb and which is grown as a waterside ornamental.
- Genus Gunnera, family Gunneraceae: several species, in particular G. manicata and G. tinctoria
More example sentences
- The banks are high with wild orchid, gunnera and water lily.
- The big leaves of a squash plant are just as striking as the similar leaves of gunnera, a perennial much prized by lovers of bold style.
- In spring, the stars of the Secret Garden are camellias, magnolias and the lushest of bog gardens crammed with skunk lilies and gunnera.
modern Latin, named after Johann E. Gunnerus (1718–73), Norwegian botanist.
Definition of gunnera in:
- The US English dictionary