noun (plural gunnies)[mass noun] chiefly North American
- 1.1 [count noun] (also gunnysack) A sack made of gunny.More example sentences
- J.R. had just read this article in the San Antonio Express-News in which two University of Texas professors claim that in West Texas we refer to burlap bags as gunnysacks whereas in East Texas they are known as croaker sacks.
- While some cover their heads with plastic bags or gunnysacks, some simply give into the rain and let the hair down.
- Overstuffed gunnysacks are squeezed through windows, and cash hurriedly changes hands as traders rush to unload their goods before the train leaves the station.
early 18th century: from Marathi gōnī, from Sanskrit goṇī 'sack'.
More definitions of gunnyDefinition of gunny in:
- The US English dictionary