Definition of gunwale in English:
The upper edge or planking of the side of a boat or ship.
- Installation was neat and tidy, cables and steering being run down each side of the boat under respective gunwales and thence into the centre console.
- There was seating facing inboard along the gunwales of the boat.
- You never know what quite to expect at boat show product demonstrations, but when someone swings a baseball bat repeatedly into a boat's gunwale, they quickly get everyone's attention.
to the gunwales
- informal So as to be almost overflowing: the car is stuffed to the gunwales with camera equipmentMore example sentences
- The houses are never squalid; what they are is crammed to the gunwales with stuff - stuff that's been packed into drawers and cupboards and closets, no rhyme or reason to it, and not an inch of space to spare.
- Across Europe, gigantic music stores stuffed to the gunwales with American pop, rock and urban do a sideline in hipster books.
- Once, during a seasonal visit to the store, I watched as a little man struggled with a leviathan of a trolley, stuffed to the gunnels with drink, box after box of it.
Definition of gunwale in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan