(In South Asia) a type of unrefined, solid brown sugar made from boiling sugar cane juice until dry.
- In the Indian subcontinent and in SE Asia a crude, dark palm sugar called jaggery or gur is used.
- The connoisseur would have the imli and gur mixed just so right and the chaat would be so hot as to make your eyes water.
- A favorite breakfast dish is panthabhat, leftover cold rice in water or milk mixed with gur (date palm sugar).
Relating to or denoting a branch of the Niger-Congo family of languages, spoken in parts of West Africa and including More and Senufo.
- Of these three subfamilies of the Gur language group, Mole-Dagbane make up 15 percent of Ghana's population and are by far the largest group in their region.
- Residents there spoke a dialect of the same Gur language of many Dogon groups.
- It belongs to the Gur group within the Niger-Congo language family.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
Definition of gur in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.