noun (plural gutties)Irish & Scottish informal
- A pair of plimsolls - we used to call them gutties - was purchased for the princely sum of 10, and the kindly police officers then drove him back to the stadium in plenty of time for the match.
- I rushed home and said to Mammy, "I didn't want those gutties, I wanted black patent shoes with square buckles."
- He sat on the bench and changed his shoes for a black pair of gutties.
From gutta-percha, because the soles of the shoes are made of rubber.
Words that rhyme with guttybutty, cutty, nutty, puttee, putty, rutty, smutty
adjective (guttier, guttiest)North American informal
- Whether you like him or loathe him, you have to give him props for one of the game's all-time great gutty performances.
- The question has a sticky personal dimension, that of presidential character and the president's own gutty willingness to take decisive action.
- They're gutty and gritty and fundamental and fearless.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan