Definition of gymnosperm in English:
A plant of a group that comprises those that have seeds unprotected by an ovary or fruit, including the conifers, cycads, and ginkgo. Compare with angiosperm.
- Subdivision Gymnospermae, division Spermatophyta
- Taxonomists can now say that the ferns' closest cousins are the seed plants - angiosperms (flowering plants) and gymnosperms (such as conifers).
- The known flora consists of 41 ferns and fern allies, 3 gymnosperms, 291 monocots, and 516 dicots.
- Moreover, since the expression pattern is similar in a gymnosperm and in an angiosperm this function appears to be evolutionarily conserved.
- Example sentences
- In contrast, the interval between c.916m and 885.9Om is totally dominated by gymnospermous saccate pollen, with very few fern spores.
- So this is a time period where gymnospermous plants predominated, including cycadioids which look like modern cycads, and various groups of extinct conifers and seed ferns.
- The late Triassic showed major radiation of plants, gymnospermous groups in particular, in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
Words that rhyme with gymnospermisogeotherm
Definition of gymnosperm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.