verb[no object] literary
Whirl or gyrate: a swarm of ghosts gyred around him
More example sentences
- The serpents intertwined, gyring, intertwining and weaved around one another, racing towards her.
- The current is not, however, continuous around Antarctica and it is absorbed in the two large gyre systems of the Weddell Sea and the Ross Sea.
- Another no-mates, quarantined island where they gyre and gambol long and hard and in public.
1A spiral or vortex.
- The two source waters of the cold fresh Arctic water and the warm salty Atlantic water form a cyclonic gyre which is closed in its southern section at approximately 72°N by the eastward-flowing current.
- Rivers of plastic objects are carried by great ocean currents from North America, Japan, and other lands along the North Pacific rim into the gyre.
- I've been turning and turning in the widening gyre.
1.1 Geography A circular pattern of currents in an ocean basin: the central North Pacific gyre
More example sentences
- These currents flow in large rotating loops called gyres.
- The August data support the results of earlier investigations that suggested that dynamic forcing by a basinwide gyre is responsible for the upwelling in the open water.
- Zones of minimum upwelling and, therefore, productivity, occur in the central regions of the oceans known as the gyres.
Words that rhyme with gyreacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gyre
Definition of gyre in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.