Definition of gyroscope in English:
A device consisting of a wheel or disc mounted so that it can spin rapidly about an axis which is itself free to alter in direction. The orientation of the axis is not affected by tilting of the mounting, so gyroscopes can be used to provide stability or maintain a reference direction in navigation systems, automatic pilots, and stabilizers.
- When the axis of a gyroscope is rotated the gyro attempts to make the plane of the rotation of the axis become the new plane of rotation for the gyro.
- The chair uses a computerized system of sensors, gyroscopes, and electric motors to convert itself from a standard four-wheeled chair to an elevated chair balanced on only two wheels.
- These guidance systems consist of a small spinning device called a gyroscope which keeps a constant axis orientation and thus helps to orient the missile.
- Example sentences
- A pre-set magnetic compass and gyroscopic auto-pilot determined and maintained its course.
- This is achieved using an internal gyroscopic mechanism or with electronic sensors coupled to microprocessors that instantaneously adjust for any motion.
- These acceleration-sensing gyroscopic devices are offered by some autopilot manufacturers as an option or as an integral part of the system.
- Example sentences
- If you've been boating for awhile, there doubtless have been times when you could really use those big gyroscopically stabilized binoculars that the U.S. Navy has used for years.
- The gyroscopically stabilized models, by the way, reportedly provide added compensation for movement of the boat under you.
- His photographs are made from helicopters and planes with a gyroscopically stabilized camera.
Words that rhyme with gyroscopemicroscope • horoscope
Definition of gyroscope in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.