noun (plural gyri /-rʌɪ/)Anatomy
- A ridge or fold between two clefts on the cerebral surface in the brain.More example sentences
- The cerebellum has on its surface a series of tight folds, called folia, similar to, but narrower than, the gyri of the cerebral cortex.
- A comparison of the brain scans from the two groups revealed significant differences in the volume of gray matter in areas of the frontal and temporal lobes and the cingulate gyrus.
- On each side, the gyrus rectus of the frontal lobe is well developed and the orbital gyri are arranged irregularly around the H-shaped orbital sulci.
mid 19th century: from Latin, from Greek guros 'a ring'.
More definitions of gyrusDefinition of gyrus in:
- The US English dictionary