noun[mass noun] Geology
- Sediment rich in organic matter deposited at the bottom of a eutrophic lake.More example sentences
- The organic-rich bottom deposits (sapropels or gyttja) are rich in oil-producing organic compounds.
- Incorporation of old carbon into basal gyttja yields ages from bulk samples that are initially about 600 yr too old.
- All laboratory tests were performed on 19 samples of gyttja and lacustrine chalk taken from the lakelands.
late 19th century: Swedish, literally 'mud, ooze'.
More definitions of gyttjaDefinition of gyttja in:
- The US English dictionary