Definition of gyve in English:
noun(usually gyves) archaic
A fetter or shackle: Thomas Chase lay bound most painfully with chains, gyves, manacles, and irons
More example sentences
- So he stooped and put the gyve in his bosom; and the rough iron galled him as he went, and his bosom bled.
- It seems to us that this scheme merely recommends manacles instead of gyves; that it is a mere substitution of one kind of fetter for another.
- I see the food to be wholesome, said Jack; and still it is no proof that a man should wear a gyve on his right leg.
- 1gyved adjective
- Example sentences
- None are happy, none are good, none are respectable, that are not gyved like us.
- For now and then in the gyved one's trance a serene happy light born of some wandering reminiscence or dream would diffuse itself over his face, and then wane away only anew to return.
Middle English: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with gyvealive, arrive, chive, Clive, connive, contrive, deprive, dive, drive, five, hive, I've, jive, live, MI5, revive, rive, shrive, skive, strive, survive, swive, thrive
Definition of gyve in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.