noun[mass noun] Law
- 1A writ requiring a person under arrest to be brought before a judge or into court, especially to secure the person’s release unless lawful grounds are shown for their detention: his application for habeas corpus a writ of habeas corpusMore example sentences
- How do the basic values of the writ of habeas corpus compare to those of the Bill of Rights generally?
- When we use habeas corpus, we protect the safety of both our physical selves and our moral selves.
- And there are no territorial limits to the reach of habeas corpus articulated in the text.
late Middle English: Latin, literally 'you shall have the body (in court)'.
More definitions of habeas corpusDefinition of habeas corpus in:
- The US English dictionary