Parallel lines used in hill-shading on maps, their closeness indicating steepness of gradient.
- For example, British cartographers favoured showing height by means of contour lines while the French preferred hachures.
- In the background hachures and shading are used to represent the value of the current velocity.
- You may be able to work around the problem by turning off the hachures for all contours except the innermost closed contour.
- Example sentences
- If you look at G-H and E-F you can see that this is true for both hachured and unhachured contours!
- The final upper hachured triangle is filled in completely and is probably a painting mistake.
- This map of a portion of Honduras includes a trail, rivers and streams, settlements, and hachured relief.
Mid 19th century: from French, from hacher (see hatch3).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hach|ures
Definition of hachures in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.