Definition of hachures in English:
Parallel lines used in hill-shading on maps, their closeness indicating steepness of gradient.
- For example, British cartographers favoured showing height by means of contour lines while the French preferred hachures.
- In the background hachures and shading are used to represent the value of the current velocity.
- You may be able to work around the problem by turning off the hachures for all contours except the innermost closed contour.
- Example sentences
- If you look at G-H and E-F you can see that this is true for both hachured and unhachured contours!
- The final upper hachured triangle is filled in completely and is probably a painting mistake.
- This map of a portion of Honduras includes a trail, rivers and streams, settlements, and hachured relief.
Definition of hachures in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan