A person who gains unauthorized access to computer files or networks in order to further social or political ends.
More example sentences
- This political and social awareness, as well as how the awareness is acted upon, separates hacktivists from other hackers, those that are young and hacking for fun, and those that are hacking to cause damage or steal for personal gain.
- In the so-called ‘land of the free, home of the brave,’ courageous protestors and hacktivists are finding that their available avenues for protest are fewer and farther between.
- This is understandable, since it is indeed the goal of hacktivists to identify their acts as such, just like criminal activity is defined so upon the very nature of goals aimed or achieved.
1990s: blend of hack1 and activist.
- More example sentences
- She does differentiate among online activism, hacktivism, and cyberterrorism based on the severity of the activity's impact on the normal operation of target systems.
- This paper provides a thorough analysis of the mainstream media representation of hackers, hacking, hacktivism, and cyberterrorism.
- A related concept is hacktivism, which can be defined as political motivated hacking or cracking.
Definition of hacktivist in:
- The US English dictionary