Definition of hadron in English:
A subatomic particle of a type including the baryons and mesons, which can take part in the strong interaction.
- For example, the earliest version of the theory could only accommodate bosons, whereas many hadrons - including the proton and neutron - are fermions.
- The simplest hadrons are therefore mesons made from a quark and antiquark pair (where the difference is zero), and baryons made of three quarks (where the difference is three).
- Beams of hadrons, such as protons, neutrons and ions, offer important advantages over X-ray radiotherapy.
- Example sentences
- This process results in two jets of hadronic particles as the quarks form hadrons.
- ‘Color,’ as in quantum chromodynamics, refers here to the hadronic analogue of charge rather than to anything optical.
- Because the heavy quark is relatively inert, one can extract the properties of different light-quark configurations from the hadronic spectrum.
Definition of hadron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.