Definition of hadron in English:
A subatomic particle of a type including the baryons and mesons, which can take part in the strong interaction.
- For example, the earliest version of the theory could only accommodate bosons, whereas many hadrons - including the proton and neutron - are fermions.
- The simplest hadrons are therefore mesons made from a quark and antiquark pair (where the difference is zero), and baryons made of three quarks (where the difference is three).
- Beams of hadrons, such as protons, neutrons and ions, offer important advantages over X-ray radiotherapy.
- Example sentences
- This process results in two jets of hadronic particles as the quarks form hadrons.
- ‘Color,’ as in quantum chromodynamics, refers here to the hadronic analogue of charge rather than to anything optical.
- Because the heavy quark is relatively inert, one can extract the properties of different light-quark configurations from the hadronic spectrum.
Definition of hadron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan