A large herbivorous mainly bipedal dinosaur of the late Cretaceous period, with jaws flattened like the bill of a duck. Also called duck-billed dinosaur.
- Family Hadrosauridae, infraorder Ornithopoda, order Ornithischia
More example sentences
- There is a parallel here with the hadrosaur and ceratopsian dinosaurs of the Late Cretaceous.
- The ornithopods included the hadrosaurs or duck-billed dinosaurs, in which the front of the mouth was enlarged to form a broad flat beak and a variety of bony crests were developed on top of the head.
- The Ornithopoda included the hadrosaurs, the iguanodontids, the heterodontosaurs, the hypsilophodontids, and various other dinosaurs.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Hadrosaurus (genus name), from Greek hadros 'thick, stout' + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of hadrosaur in:
- The US English dictionary