Definition of haematocrit in English:
1The ratio of the volume of red blood cells to the total volume of blood.
- This fluid is then centrifuged to leave a solution of red blood cells with a haematocrit of 0.5-0.6.
- Her current white blood cell count, hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell indices are all normal.
- The ratio of total body to venous hematocrit was calculated for all patients.
1.1An instrument for measuring the ratio of the volume of red blood cells to the total volume of blood, typically by centrifugation.
- Last spring they warned about abnormal test scores that recorded high readings of hematocrit, a measure of the volume of red blood cells.
- But because the haematocrit measure is not specific - it can only detect possible abuse - they do not use it.
- Your hematocrit result has to be above a thirty-eight and I was just below that.
Late 19th century: from haemato- 'of blood' + Greek kritēs 'judge'.
Definition of haematocrit in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.