- (Of an animal, especially an insect or tick) feeding on blood.More example sentences
- As a vector's biting rate largely determines the dynamics and epidemiology of parasites that rely on hematophagous insects for transmission, the vector is expected to be the target for behavioral manipulation by the parasite.
- In nature arboviruses are routinely maintained by transmission cycles involving the passage of virus between susceptible vertebrate hosts and hematophagous arthropod vectors.
- The ectoparasites, in particular the hematophagous swallow bug (Hemiptera: Cimicidae: Oeciacus vicarius), are responsible for much of the nestling mortality and nest failures that occur in our study area.
More definitions of haematophagousDefinition of haematophagous in:
- The US English dictionary