- The chemical element of atomic number 72, a hard silver-grey metal of the transition series, resembling and often occurring with zirconium. (Symbol: Hf)More example sentences
- Titanium is found in column four along with chemically similar zirconium, hafnium, and thorium.
- For most of history, hafnium and zirconium were not clearly distinguished from each other.
- Samarium is a rare earth element, one of the elements that occupy the space in Row 6 of the periodic table between lanthanum and hafnium.
1920s: modern Latin, from Hafnia, Latinized form of Danish Havn, former name of Copenhagen.
More definitions of hafniumDefinition of hafnium in:
- The US English dictionary